Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Crescent Lake, WA

Had anyone told me in the 4th grade what Rick Penny would mean to me over the years, I would have laughed, chased him around the playground, and smacked him hard just to prove them wrong. Through 4th grade games, junior high torment, tenth grade science, Spring sports, and our incredible spiritual friendship now, I have come to understand that Rick Penny will always be one of the most important people in my life. He serves a profound purpose; one we didn't even understand until recently. He was the man who baptized me, and he and his wife have guided me on my own journey in ways no one else could. Don't get me wrong, this is not and has never been more than a friendship, but it is a friendship more meaningful than most will ever know or understand.

When I doubted I was ready for this journey, or that I should spend the money, he pushed me to go knowing it was something I needed to do. He guided me to a specific place along my journey, pushing me to go further than I intended - further than I wanted. Like many times before, he was right, for it was a profound moment that I cannot think of without getting choked up. It was the healing point in my life.

Rick insisted I go to Crescent Lake, Washington. He simply said "trust me, you'll understand when you get there." I've never trusted any man like I apparently trust Rick, because with those words, I drove to Crescent Lake, and I saw what he meant. Words and pictures cannot express what that moment will forever mean to me.

Rick - knowing you, listening to you, leaning on you, and trusting you has changed my life. May God bless you for the lives you have changed. May I be the friend to you that you have been for me.

http://www.olympicnationalparks.com/

No comments: