Friday, May 7, 2010

Bend, Oregon

Numerous people told me I would love Bend, Oregon. They said it was just like Flagstaff, which is where I grew up.  To get there, one has to drive through various climate and scenery changes. It does resemble northern Arizona in many ways with the ponderosa pines, land similar to the reservation, and flat, open areas like near Winslow.

The town of Bend is a beautiful place to call home. It has a wonderful combination of modern, trendy areas, combined with traditional and historical ones. The downtown area is alive with a variety of people, musical talents, art displays, restaurants, and clubs. The heart of the downtown area is a beautiful park with a natural river running through one of the most beautiful old-town neighborhoods I have seen, filled with beautifully restored quaint traditional homes, complete with the United States flag proudly displayed on most of the homes. The Mill district is another unique and trendy area where they did a wonderful job updating the industrial area.

A must see if you like Flagstaff - Maybe even a second home if you once loved Flagstaff.

I roamed around the downtown area that evening looking for a great place to eat. Eating alone in a new town is not always easy, especially on a bustling Friday night. I walked into a Mexican food restaurant and was seated at the bar. The off-duty chef was seated next to me and as we began to talk, he offered his suggestion on what I should eat. I let him order for me and he selected a delicious, succulent tender cut of pork in a mole' sauce with seasoned rice and beans and warm, fresh, hand-made tortillas. He then took it upon himself to bring me dessert which consisted of three types of custard, all his own recipes - at no charge. It was one of the many gifts I was given on this journey. We never exchanged names, and I walked away with a full belly and without ever seeing him again, but it was a joyful time shared with a stranger in a beautiful place. Incredible!!


No comments: