Saturday, May 1, 2010

Coastal Forests

Few things left me completely awestruck on this trip as did the forests - especially the Redwood Forest. It simply astounds me! I do not understand why these trees are so massive compared to normal trees, and I found myself driving and wanting to do some research to find out if there is any other place on this planet that produces trees this size, and why they grow so large. Standing alone in the Redwood Forest is as humbling as standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon. I am so small in this universe.

No picture does them justice, so when you get a chance, go see them in person and make sure you get there on a bright sunny day in the middle of the day. With cloud coverage or a setting sun, you would be left a blanket of blackness. It can be overwhelmingly shocking how massive and overpowering these treees are when they block out the sun so well.


Driving-


Normal forest


Giant
Forest




Small redwood tree beside a large normal tree.


Cut out door is 6 feet tall, four feet wide.

Wood warts



...and a river runs through it.


No comments: