Sunday, April 11, 2010

From Sacagawea to me

Many 8th grade students never read an entire book, something I found appalling as their English teacher. I tried to find books to capture their interest and make avid readers out of them. I discovered that often, it was my passion for the subject matter that hooked them.

One of my favorites was the Scott O’Dell novel, Streams to the River, River to the Sea, where he brings to life the mysterious Shoshone girl Sacagawea, interpreter and guide for Lewis and Clark. Sacagawea's journey to the great sea is not only physical. It is a spiritual journey as well - and the lessons she learned while on this journey changed her path in life forever.

Each time I read this book to my students, I would  promise my students that someday I would stand where Sacagewea stood when she first saw the Pacific Ocean. I often said I was not as strong as she was, and would not have survived that trip. I wondered if she was aware of how her journey changed the future.

Thus, I set out on my own journey, and within days, I will stand where Sacagawea stood, having gone through my own adventures, struggles, and spiritual journey along the way - though much different from hers. I am grateful to be going in my car instead of the keel boat in which she traveled.

I wonder how this trip will change a future.

No comments: